Pages

Friday, January 06, 2006

Who am I?

Has anyone of you watched the movie, "The Island"? Due to well, my busy schedule when the movie was due for screening, I haven't had the opportunity to watch this magnificent movie.
The Island
From where?
"The Island" is set in the near future where a highly advanced yet secret institution "clones" individuals who are in need for purposes limited to future use of the clones. That purpose may be for limb replacement, organ transplant, or child-bearing. For example if one suspects he/she will be needing a heart transplant in the the near future, that individual will apply to that cloning institution. The institution clones that individual and when the indvidual needs something like let's say a heart, the institution gives the clone's healthy heart to that individual.

The clones are made from a mass tissue. After it is injected with DNA, it grows into an individual with the same characterstic as its sponsor. They are planted with false memories. When the clone is "finished", it is given a name and is well fed, kept healthy, educated in a highly controlled yet very healthy environment. They are brainwashed into thinking that they are survivors from nuclear contamination from the outside world and were kept inside to contain them. A lottery was made every now and then and select random individuals. The lottery winner is said to transfer to the last habitable place on Earth called, "The Island". Everyone is hopeful that one day their name will be called and they will transfer to the paradise called, "The Island". The truth is when they will be called, it is the time when their sponsor needs them and after that they will be eliminated. However, in every successful technology products there occurs one bug, it is when one clone, Lincoln 6 Echo (Ewan McGregor) had dreams never implanted by the institution, memories he find strange, and that (sometimes irky) human attitude of curiosity and intimate feelings for the opposite sex. In his wandering, he found the horrible truth behind the existence of the world he was living in. In desperation he wanted to escape and his friend Jordan 2 Echo (Scarlett Johansson) who won recently to be trasferred to "The Island".

As I watched this movie, I recalled one moment in my life when I asked this question: Who am I? I can relate to the desperation Lincoln 6 Echo feels as he desperately justifies his existence. Are we some mere organism who just breathe, grow up, study, work, have family, and die? What is my purpose in this world I'm living in? Philosophy has by all means try to justify, gave proof, reasoned out of figuring out the man's identity. When I found Christ (or was it He found me?), my life was never the same. I am no longer doubtful of who I am or of my purpose in this world. I am so secure in my identity as God's son and belong to a big family of God's people. My purpose is to go back home where my Father dwells and everything that is happening here in this world with regards to my life all collects in preparation for my stay there in Heaven. I am not afraid of die (physically) because if it does, I'll be glad that I have gone home.

No comments: