Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2005




Writing a Technical Paper



This afternoon, we have a "How to make a Technical Paper" activity at TIPI Auditorium. I was really excited to attend the session to understand what was wrong with the technical papers I made when I was in college. In my technical writing class, English 23, my paper about "Alopecia Areata" earned a poor grade of 78%. In the process of making the paper, I literally developed "Alopecia". By the way, "Alopecia" is commonly known as hair loss. I was so depressed at that time and desperate to find a cure for the disorder. I really thought I would be bald forever. I even wrote a letter to Alopecia Areata Foundation to help me with my dilemma but all they did was to send me a sponsorship form. Anyway back to the subject, during my later years in college, more technical papers were demanded out of me. All I did with those papers was "copy and paste" the details I read in my references. You'd imagine, my references were a 3-page documentation.

Today was enlightening. I learned several misconceptions about technical writing. I really appreciated the tips on format, correct grammar, brevity and validity of how a paper should be made. I also learned that it need not to be too long. It was a simple approach like an idiot's guide but a very efficient one. Ma'am Cathy who conducted the session is lively and she made us dance the whole "Chocolate" song during the ice breaker.Andy

No comments: