Pages

Friday, May 20, 2005




The Greatest Riches!



Yesterday at 12:30, I had my lunch at Chowking in Center Mall, Baguio. After lunch, I decided to go PCBS in UB Square to look for a reading material to buy. I passed through a very crowdy street near the jeepney terminal. When I get to Metrobank where it is less crowdy, I felt the pockets of my jacket and realized that my wallet was gone. I immediately retraced my steps back to Chowking. When I got there, I looked for my wallet but it was nowhere to be found. I felt my pockets again and realized that my cellphone was gone too. I let a sigh, a very desperate sigh, almost close to a panic. I felt for my pockets again and I found out, I have my medicines, my keys and a few coins. Great! I have to make a call to my dad but I don't memorize his number, but I do know our house's number. Immediately, what really caused me to go frantic was when I realized that my atm pins are in the unsent items box of my cellphone. If the ones who got my phone and my wallet are one and the same, there is a great possibility that he/she will find out my pins and use them to withdraw money from my atm account.

So I first went to Smart Wireless center hoping that I could encash my money from my Smart Money card but the customer care lady cannot do anything. I searched for a payphone but most of them are for local calls only. After searching for what seemed like 48 years, I found a booth where I can make a call using cellphone but it would cost 20 pesos. I don't care! I have to inform my dad that the his atm card I've been using was stolen. I was hoping I was punching the keys right. Fortunately, our maid, Api answered the phone. She gave the line to my sister and told her to call my dad pronto and inform him of what happened to me. After that, I went back to the boarding house and found my roommates Lowan and Julius. Bless them! After hearing what happened to me, Lowan lent his phone to me to call my dad and Julius lent me 100 pesos.

I got dressed and brought my TI ID and went to BPI Cooyeesan to report the loss of my Express Cash Card. When I got there, the teller in-charge told me that they cannot replace the card. I have to report the incident to the HR Dept of TI and have my card replaced. Meanwhile, she called the hotline where I could report the loss of my card and anyone who might withdraw the money cannot do so. It was successful. Afterwards, I rode a jeep to go to TI. Inside the jeep, things start to sink in and I grieved over the loss of my money, my phone, calling cards of friends, my PRC ID. Having to access almost everything electronically... I never realized then how complicated it is when all of these "accesses" would suddenly disappear. I was thinking how'd I get the money to let me eat for a few days. I was thinking in meeting my friend Butch and borrow maybe 500 from him. I was really worried I would fail to make commitments due to the loss of my cellphone and in desperation I cried out to God what did I do to deserve this? I've tried so hard to be a man after His own heart and this is what I get! But God answered me immediately, at the very instant I finish gasping this complaint. I saw a sticker against the jeepney wall and it said:

"The greatest riches are the riches we have in Christ.


Tears fell from my eyes and I knew instantly, God answered my prayers! Having Him is more important than being secured knowing I have lots of money in my atm accounts. I have been guilty of trusting my financial status by the money I have in my atm. God taught me a great lesson! Trust in Him completely. Do not put your security over anything else but in Him only. I let out a prayer of praise and when I finished praying, I realized the jeep stopped at TI. I went inside and when I was at the North entrance, surprisingly, Butch was there texting. He already knew what happened to me cause my dad called him. Dad called me through Butch's phone and before the conversation ended, I know I would be all right. Thanks God for this ironically sad and joyous event. Something within me died but my trust in God was borne into a higher level.

No comments: