Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

andy matrix



Reading "After Eden"



Butch, my roommate often tell me how hilarious "After Eden" is. I have been into Powerbooks many times but the comic novel by Arnold Arre did not interest me quite a bit until today. Being tired of reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", I was looking for some reading material that would tickle my funny bone, so I came across with "After Eden". Although I found Arre's drawing "too cramped", the story was so good and I suggest that you should read it too. It's a story mixed with mild humor, drama, and cheesy-romantic scenes as well as profusive language. It made me laugh too loud and somehow makes me cry. Anyway to give you an overview, "After Eden" is a symbolic phase in what happens to a relationship when the lovers "fall out love" - the term is, Eden, the place where the first man-woman love story began and what happened after they are banished, termed otherwise when the love story ended, according to the author. The story tells of two old childhood friends Celine and Jon, who, after 21 years, met during those "loneliest" times of their lives and found solace into each other. However, as their relationship blossomed, their relationships with their respective friends start to fall apart. Lea, and Gregg who are close friends of Celine and Jon respectively have formulated a mischievious plot to break the two apart - to have them realized that "love" is just an illusion, an escape from reality, an addictive drug to cure temporarily the loneliness inside of us. Sooner, the planned work perfectly but instead of building the relationship back, everyone was in despair. Jon's shop filed for bankruptcy, Celine resigned from her ad agency, friends do not talk and go on with each other's lives. However good and bad destiny personified by the cops, who represented "evil" and the cupid ladies who personified "good" battled each other to get the two back again or separate both forever. The ending is for you to find out. "After Eden" is like an animé styled comic novel sold for 315 pesos all over National Bookstores and Powerbooks in GMA area.

No comments: