Pages

Friday, September 16, 2005




Befriend a Lone Soul



As I opened my eyes this morning, I felt a heavy feeling inside my heart. I felt lonely and it seems tiring even to think what I will do today. The enemy has been targeting my heart everyday, every morning as I wake up with feelings of hopelessness and loneliness. As I was writing this entry, I still feel quite empty but thanks to the word of God that greeted me as I read my Daily Bread. For many nights before going to sleep, I always pray to God to give me some friends. I have been struggling greatly, personally without any physical friends – just some soul where I can freely relate. Everyday, I loiter around the city alone, entertaining myself by watching movies, listening to Christian music or surfing the internet, watching people pass by with their peers, their spouses, parents and children or close friends. I felt envious and lonely at the thought. Sometimes, I do wish that my Manila friends were only here or somehow I do wish that I can go back and spend with my friends there in Manila. Sometimes I wonder why God let me be in this place where He wants me to suffer internally. But He has His reasons.

Anyway, I don’t want you to finish reading feeling bombarded with my loneliness. Today’s word in Daily Bread entitled, “How To Be A Friend” and I smiled after reading this. The text was found in Proverbs 18:24,


”A man who has friends must himself be friendly”.


Many people outside need friends too… and it brought me to my self-centeredness. Though I, as most of us are, have some needs to be cherished by a friend but when we are so absorbed with this thought, we tend to focus only to ourselves instead of extending ourselves and befriend people especially strangers. Yeah, why I haven’t thought of that? But then I ask God, “Lord, I am not friendly. I’m shy and find myself tongue-tied talking with people let alone a stranger.” These people feel like us too, Dave Branon continues to say, “These people may not think they fit in, or they may be facing turmoil that makes them feel all alone.” Yeah, we feel that way too, right? "Sometimes all we need to do is extend a hand, offer a smile, or speak a word of encouragement." Again we ask, how can I offer a smile or speak a word of encouragement if I, myself need these things too. That’s when we ask God to give us these needs. Trust Him that He will fill these needs and make our hearts overflowing with joy drowning the loneliness within. Pray, that you can bless other people to by being friends with them. How could I forget? Just last Sunday, I dedicated myself to God to be a blessing unto others. I am overflowing with blessings and I got to give it away! God, it is our prayer to make us a blessing unto people who need Your love that they themselves be blessed.

No comments: