Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hay Fever Aftermath

I'm feeling much better now after five days of being sick. I should have been extra careful, extra precautious especially at this time of the year. For the past three years, when October comes, this allergy, Allergic Rhinitis commonly known as "Hay Fever" peak during this time. Sometimes you can't distinguish it with the common flu (or worse, AH1N1) because it had flu-like symptoms. First you have the fever. Your body thinks that the allergens are like some foreign bacteria thus raising your body temperature as if ready for battle. The immune system can't distinguish a common bacteria and an allergen, so sadly it's like fighting off itself. The second and the main manifestation is excessive mucus secretion of the sinus. Once the sinuses are irritated by certain triggers like lack of sleep, stressors, cold temperature, or pollens, etc, it secretes the nastiest, colorless and stickiest mucus enough to fill a liter of coke overnight - and of course the endless tirade of sneezing, goo dripping under your nose that come along with it. The sinus also is inflamed and flared causing pressure against your face. The buildup of mucus also adds to this pressure, causing head splitting headaches and burning sensation and tearing of the eyes. Third is the cough. Why cough? The mucus does not not only drip in your nose, it also drips behind your nasal cavity via your throat, thus irritating it.

Hay fever usually lasts 3 to 5 days. If you're lucky after 3 days you'll be okay. I took a leave from work last Monday to rest and I went back to work last Tuesday which is a mistake because that's when the sneezing and the coughing got worse. By Tuesday night, I was burning with fever and thought I was going to die with headache. I texted my friends to pray for me amidst my panic desperation. For a split second, I felt so helpless, wishing someone could take care of me Naks. Seriously, I remembered my nanay when I was young who brought the medicines by the bedside, who bought me Royal Tru Orange and Oishi prawn crackers whenever I have fever. But now, I live alone, in this urban jungle called Makati Business District to live off as an "independent adult person". I have to drag myself off from the bed, even if I can barely carry myself to the drugstore to buy my meds and go to Ministop to buy food. What a hard life! For a split second, I wished I was still back home, still seven years old being taken care of. How I missed those years - those years that I haven't appreciated back then until now.

Well so much for the drama. LOL. I'm OK now and thinking of going to the movies later...

No comments: