Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2005




Selecting Movies to Watch



I just watched "Nasaan Ka Man" starrring Claudine Baretto. Technically it's a very good movie. Hollywoodish, I should say - owe it to a newcomer director, Cholo Laurel. But you know what, as I grew "older" watching movies, I just realized that even if it's an art movie with excellent directing, cinematography, acting you need not to watch it if it will affect how you view controversial issues in life such as purity, violence and perversions. I left the moviehouse disturbed, graphic scenes of abuse and violence still floating in my mind. I just find it amazing that when you start to walk in the light, evil is easy to discern. When you are in the dark everything seems to lie in one plane - good and evil; moral and immoral - you cannot distinguish which. There is no black or white. Everything is gray. I believe that today, that is how the world operates - morality is relative, what may be immoral for you are okay for others. So, my advice if you feel uncomfortable in watching a movie don't watch it at all. Actually, I have a hunch beforehand.

No comments: