Pages

Monday, March 22, 2004





ROHM Apollo: Lost in San Pablo



Finally, I received a call last Friday at exactly 11:30 that I'm scheduled for an exam in ROHM Apollo the following day at 8:30. It has been a month since they have invited me for the initial interview. Well, anyway I arrived there on time and proceeded to the new building. I approached the receptionist and told her that I have an exam scheduled that day. However, she told me that the exam was postponed this Monday (or to say, today 03/22/04). Ma'am Babes, who was supposed to give our exam was bleeding so she had the the exam rescheduled. I pointed out that I was not informed about the postponement. The receptionist called for Mr. Salon to know his decision regarding this matter. I was told to wait with an another misinformed applicant in the lobby. After waiting for an hour, Mr. Salon joined us and informed us that Ma'am Babes will be coming. We just have to wait for her. However 12 o' clock came and no Ma'am Babes was in sight so we decided to take our lunch at ROHM's canteen.

After eating we came back at the lobby and waited... At two o' clock, Mr. Salon approached us again and told us the Ma'am Babes was caught in a "Mega - traffic" in Alabang, she was supposedly be here last 11 o' clock. However, we waited. I felt half my day already wasted. I was thinking of getting my laundry at five and if the exam will start now, I have the slimmest chance to get it. 4 o' clock came and I was bored - "to death" and waiting for the not-coming Ma'am Babes. "Katya", the pretty receptionist shiftee in the afternoon was warning us that Ma'am Babes will not be coming DEFINITELY because she was not feeling well. It seems to me that Ma'am Babes is not coming at all and the "Alabang Mega-traffic" is some cock-and-bull story which is unlikely since Mr. Salon - a seemingly "highly-respected" authority at ROHM was the one who told us that Ma'am Babes is coming and that we just have to wait. I'm confused which is true, although the vibes I'm getting are quite as indirect and too impossible. I was prodding with the other applicant that I think we'd take the exam on Monday. However, he still trusts that Ma'am Babes will still be coming under one condition that on 4:30 if Ma'am Babes is still not coming, then off we will go! However, we waited 'till five o'clock and no Ma'am Babes was in sight! The HR people are coming out their offices to go home and so is Mr. Salon who was now ready to go. He told us that Ma'am Babes just called and told him that while in Alabang, something came up and Ma'am Babes will not be coming anymore. That's it, he was lying after all. I've seen these situations before... But do you know what the worst thing is? I seem to go with the lie as if I don't have the mind of my own ... maybe because of intimidation. I have intimidation problems with people in authority... and because of that intimidation I was now in his car with the other applicant. He told us that we will get the exam papers in his house in Alabang since he had copies of them. Wait! this is inappropriate already and I know that he knows this and every professional person ... but again I was angry with myself since I didn't do anything but do as he said much with the prodding of the other applicant, who I later found out that he will re-take the exams which he took last week (You can only take the exam after six months), who was with Mr. Salon just a week ago in Capas, Tarlac. (Are these guys already friends? It felt weird to know that)

Well, continue with the story ... as we arrived at the Carmona-BiƱan Interchange, there was indeed a heavy traffic going to Manila (not going South as we he was telling us). He decided not to go to Alabang but proceed to San Pablo City via. Sto. Tomas Batangas. The HR will be having a job fair tomorrow there. And that the "Sabado Night" club (a CARE group of ROHM, like clubs in college) will be skinny-dipping in Pagsanjan waterfalls. Wow! ... wow but that's not I'm worrying about. I realized that we're going to San Pablo, a place I haven't gone yet and with me, people I didn't know especially Mr. Salon who (se face) cannot be trusted after what he had done (still I'm not sure if he was lying but I have the vibes that he is), and I'm here at South Superhighway and can't get out of his car (Rape!)... much to say to him that I want to get out! But I was telling you, I did nothing but sit in the front seat.
Well, while we were cruising along the road just below Mt. Makiling - fresh air and green scenery ... but again I was given yet another chance "not to tell anything". He made me use my cellphone to call his contacts at San Pablo. He promised me to pay my "cell" load when we get to a Caltex Station. I should have told him that I have no load! Waaah... it was dreadful - exciting and frightening. I was his secretary and I was like the guys in a call center making,

"Hello, good afternoon pwede makausap si Mr.... ah ganun po ba? ... May another contact number po ba sila? ... Sige po, thank you!"

We arrived at San Pablo at 7 o' clock. Mr. Salon proceeded to Centro Mart to meet his contact person and to buy some grocery. I can't wait to go home after all the nerves I'm getting since I took a seat in his car. Butch Dako just texted me to meet with Butch Gamay, Owynne and Dodoy at Paseo de Sta. Rosa for dinner and drinks. I told him that I was in San Pablo and I asked me where the van terminal for Balibago is. When Mr. Salon came back, I told him that I will be going back to Balibago since I will be up early for tomorrow. He asked me if I knew where to go. I did not bother to ask for the payment for my load since I was too eager to go home. I parted ways with the other employee who decided to go to Pagsanjan with Mr. Salon and the gang and go back to their house in Fairview tomorrow. He was still thinking that he will take the exam tomorrow. (How could he think that it's still possible?) I just told him to go ROHM this Monday. Fortunately, the direction Butch had told me was just at the other side of the road. I was somewhat finally able to breath by the sight of the church at San Pablo and the 7-eleven... just like what Butch described it.

Do you know what I learned that day? To have the simplest common sense over things. Guess, I would nto learn from all the events I've encountered here in Manila. God has been allowing these things to happen so that I will finally get a knack of the much valued "common sense" and "courage to reason out". Still, I'm grateful. I just felt weird and out of something.

The van left San Pablo at 8:00 o' clock.


No comments: