Pages

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tragedy at ULTRA

This is the response to the email my friend sent to me. It happened that she almost joined her aunt to watch "Wowowee Anniversary". Thank God that she did not join and her aunt, though she was there remained unscathed. But the vision and images she saw there will be forever etched in her mind. I hope that what I think of the whole event is something God is importantly and telling us and that you may be able to contemplate on it too.

Hi Leigh,

It was really devastating and tragic... I'm glad that your aunt was okay and I believe that it was God's leading that you did not come. My church brothers and I were discussing it last Saturday and each of us had different interpretation of what God is telling us with this tragedy. One of my brothers was so distressed, he was like almost angry, you know. I agree with him that what happened in Ultra should be an eye-opener to our governement:

THIS IS WHAT POVERTY BRINGS! Poverty at its worst! and all they do now is just politicking again... asking relief goods in the name if this Honorable... blah blah blah blah... Pres. GMA suing ABS-CBN and other politicians who wants to dive into the issue as well just to get publicity.

Poverty is a curse... and it's so sad that because of it, we bend our moral and the very basic values we need enough to live a worthwhile life. Truly, as for me and as what the Bible says, "The love of money is the root of all evil."... People will do anything to have money - people become selfish and monstrous as if he only lives for himself... People are hurt (and dead at that!) because of their own selfish montrosity just to have money... I understand they need money but to go to that extreme is unimaginable!

But of course in every fulfillment of our "selfish" desires there are two main factors - the catch and the bait. The people are the catch but who is the bait? It's that big show - Wowowee. They think they are helping people by giving money... They're so proud, making noise everyday and looking so frenzy and happy. I admit the show is entertaining but deep inside me I felt something is wrong. I cringe watching TFC audiences, putting "green" money into baskets in exchange for a "panawagan" (greeting) or so something like it though indirectly, and with Willie fanning several peso/dollar notes over tear-stricken, stomach-hungry, breath-gasping contestants. That show, according to the same brother I mentioned a while ago, is making money a god. And its true that what show is telling the people is that, 'Money... money... money... money will make you happy, money is all you need'... I understand that the show's intention is good, to help poor people, but the method is just so WRONG... It makes people lazy, parasites like clingy "leeches" - it made them think that when you need money you just line outside abs-cbn like beggars and wait for good fortune to come... If they want to help poor people, give them jobs that enables them to live uprightly and decently - in that way they make people feel good about themselves because in a sense, they feel independent that they don't need to be a "leech" to live. This is God's wrath, as another brother was telling us. He had been reading Revelations and he remembered God's bowls of anger ... and now it has fallen on Ultra - to teach us a very important lesson. I grieve for our people who are so unfortunate enough to experience this tragedy but I grieve more to those people who are so apathetic, who doesn't care or blind or pretending to be blind of what this tragedy is teaching to us all, Filipinos...

2 Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land...


God Bless...

No comments: