Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2004

andy matrix



Wannna be a Superstar?



Yesterday and today, I watched MTV's eliminations for their new show (I think it's a reality TV show), "Supahstar, The Supahstar Search". The contest has traveled to three of the key cities here in the Philippines: in Baguio, Cebu and in Davao. The judges picked 10 contestants in those cities and their last stop is here in Metro Manila where they'll be choosing 20 contestants for the show ... The judges by the way were Andrew E, Rhada and Tim Yap.

SM Mega A atrium is filled with superstar wannabes with different gimicks to offer ... from their packaging, voice sytlistics ... but of course only a few got the X-factor and the superstar appeal. The elimination was patterned from American Idol where contestants get to sing in front of the judges and the judges will comment on the way you dress, the way you perform, the way you project your voice, voice quality, if you were off-note... yeah something like that ... Well, the contest itself is very entertaining ... there were contestants na who were really determined ... even singing their original pieces ... yeah and there were some who just joined because they thought it would be just for fun ... and there are those who are really just gutsy ... like William Hung.

The contestants who really impressed me are the Rappers and Hip-hoppers ... Truthfully I was really biased with that genre of music often times. How come people appreciate a kind of music of mumbling words so fast, sometimes with illicit lyrics, and most of the time you really don't understand... but in that contest, I learned that Hip-Hop is not just a music genre, it's a lifestyle of how people live their life in a particular place ... there's a Hip-Hop subculture in Bronx, and there's a hiphop subculture in LA, and even in Germany ... I really learned new things from Andrew E. , the Hiphop contestants (who seemed like they adopted the American Hip-Hop influence)and Cindy Kurleto who is a Hip-Hop fan... so I guess I have respect now in terms of HipHop... still not my music preference pero di ko na siya dinedespise.

But I think what amuses me is my ability to sense which contestant will be chosen... like I already knew what they're looking for. Most of the time the judges' picks are also my picks ... maybe I could be a judge someday ... Oh, yeah before I forgot ... well in the first day, MTV VJ Mark was on cam in the show and he was interviewing some people who were watching, I was too busy watching that I didn't realized he came over me and started asking questions ... I was really conscious of myself ... but I answered all his question quite good ... So! Watch for my scoop in Wednesday, 7:00 PM and see if they will be airing that interview with me.

No comments: